This week’s Remember This photograph shows the Collingwood Collegiate Cadets marching south along Hurontario Street to the Great Northern Exhibition on September 25, 1914.
What really stands out in this photograph is the line of businesses between Second and Third Streets along the downtown’s west side. On the left, you will see the Collingwood Billposting Service, followed by a private road that leads to a blacksmith shop for horseshoeing. G. R. Henry’s Saddlery and a sign for William Wensley’s painting service follow. The portions of the brick building occupied by W.H. White’s Carriage Service and the Royal Bank of Canada continue to stand into the present day, housing the National Bank at 108 Hurontario Street. Collingwood’s original Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce and Trott’s Furniture and Undertakers complete this block. Today, the three-storey Trott building at the south-west corner of Hurontario and Second Streets houses Century 21.
Remember This is a weekly series of historic photographs submitted by the Collingwood Museum to CollingwoodToday.ca. These photographs were originally collected and documented by the Huron Institute in an historical catalogue entitled Huron Institute Paper and Records: Volume III. Much of Collingwood’s early history has been preserved due to the dedication and foresight of the early museum’s founders, namely its secretary-curator David Williams, upon its establishment in 1904.