On behalf of the Town of The Blue Mountains, CIMA+ Canada Inc. has completed the design and engineering for the Victoria Street Water Tower Rehabilitation. The project has been tendered and the contract has been awarded to BGL Contractors Corp. Mobilization for construction is anticipated to begin in March of 2023. Construction activity will be occurring onsite at 81 Victoria Street South in Thornbury.
Start Date: March 27, 2023
End Date: October 27, 2023 (est.)
Subscribe for Construction Updates
- Mobilization and setup of temporary construction facilities, and signage
- Construction of a temporary scaffolding and hoarding structure at the tower, including lead abatement procedures
- Complete removal and replacement of the interior and exterior coating systems
- Roof upgrades including replacement of ventilation system, guard rails and unistruts
- Replacement of interior pedestal ladder safety cages and ladders
- Health and safety system upgrades including installation of tie-off columns, D-ring anchors, davit bases and grab ladders
- Installation of new unistrut supports within the pedestal and the access tube
- Upgrades to the valve chamber, including new access hatch and ladder
- Installation of new process piping within the pedestal and valve chamber
- Installation of new interior pedestal and access tube lighting and replacement of aging electrical infrastructure within the valve chamber and pedestal
- Testing, commissioning, and handing over of the completed system to Town of The Blue Mountains
What To Expect
The rehabilitation work will take place on Town’s property. The tower will be fully enclosed by the scaffolding structure and all work will be completed within. Upon completion of work, the scaffolding will be removed, revealing the newly painted and upgraded tower.
While impacts to the residents are expected to be minimal, you may experience loud noise while the existing coating is being stripped from the tower, and while the new coating is being applied. This phase will last approximately 6 to 8 weeks and is expected to occur during the summer period. The Town will make efforts to reduce the impacts. We appreciate your patience.
Works will be occurring within Town property. Should you have any concerns during construction, please contact the Site Superintendent or Contract Administrator. The Town will not be responsible for damage to any privately owned items on Town property.
Work will generally take place Monday to Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. The contractor has informed Town staff that they would like to appeal for relief from the Town’s Noise By-Law to allow them to complete specialty work from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays as required.
Staff Report CSOPS.23.014, “Relief of Noise By-Law for Rehabilitation of the Victoria Street Water Tower,” is schedule to be presented to the Town’s Committee of the Whole on Tuesday, April 25, 2023.
Water service may be temporarily interrupted at times throughout the duration of the project. Impacted residents will be notified in writing in advance of any interruptions.
Learn more about the project and sign up for construction updates on the project web page.
For more information, please contact:
Town of The Blue Mountains