The Town of The Blue Mountains is hosting a public information centre on the planned Peel Street North reconstruction project.
The virtual information session will be held on Oct. 5 from 5 to 7 p.m. Registration for the meeting is required and can be done so at the project web page here.
Peel Street North was identified for reconstruction through the town’s development charges background study.
Preliminary engineering was completed on behalf of the town by MTE Consultants Inc. MTE has now moved on to finalizing the design before tendering for construction.
The reconstruction project will include:
- Reconstruction of Peel Street and Bay Street With a unique cross-section selected by Council from multiple options proposed including a 7.0 m road width, barrier curb and gutter, 2.7 m wide multi-use trail on Peel Street and 1.5 m wide sidewalk on Bay Street.
- Pedestrian bridge on Bay Street to expand the Town’s Active Transportation Network.
- Improve the road’s vertical alignment deficiency by cutting down the blind hill.
- Replace the watermain on Peel Street.
- Construct a storm sewer system on Peel Street and Bay Street.
- Install street lights on existing poles.
- Remove trees as required to accommodate the new infrastructure, storm outlet ditches, and the cut and fill slopes to match existing lot grades.
- Extend watermain and sanitary sewer across Highway 26 towards the future Campus of Care at 125 Peel Street South
Construction on the project is expected to begin in the second quarter of 2024 and be completed by the end of 2024. More information about the information centre can be found here.