ONTARIO PROVINCIAL POLICE
The Huronia West Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) is looking for dedicated volunteers to join the local OPP Auxiliary Program.
Please join us at the Clearview Fire Station 1 in the Training Room. Address: 6993 Highway 26, Stayner, on Aug. 9 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. You will be able to speak with some dedicated auxiliary members and police officers. This is a great opportunity to ask questions and gather information on this rewarding program.
Auxiliary members of the OPP work alongside with regular OPP officers to ensure safety and well-being for the province of Ontario. Auxiliary members assist in the delivery of traffic safety and community-based crime prevention initiatives.
Their duties may include patrols with regular members and assisting with community events, seat belt clinics, RIDE initiatives, safety displays, presentations, victim assistance and ceremonial duties.
The Auxiliary program is a great way for people to volunteer within their community, while expanding upon their experiences and connections with local police and the citizens they serve.
Some things to know about the program include:
- This volunteer position and is unpaid.
- All applicants must successfully complete an eight (8) day Auxiliary Recruit Training Course.
- As an auxiliary member, you must commit ten (10) hours on patrol, as well as six (6) hours in training per month.
- Auxiliary recruits are encouraged to participate in Fitness PIN testing during their recruit orientation. This portion is not a pass or fail to graduate from training, however, to receive the Fitness PIN recruits must achieve a minimum score of 75%.
To be eligible to become an OPP Auxiliary member, you must meet the following qualifications:
- Minimum 18 years of age
- Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD), or its equivalent (i.e. grade 12 from any province of Canada). Candidates who do not have a grade 12 diploma but have completed a college diploma program or a university degree program will be considered as having a grade 12 diploma. Applicants educated outside Canada should refer to the Government of Canada - Education Assessment Resources
- Class 'G' driver's license with full driving privileges and no more than 6 demerit points
- No criminal record for which a records suspension (pardon) has not been received and be of good moral character and habits
- Certified in Standard First-Aid and CPR (level "C")
- Pass Medical, Psychological, Security, and Financial Assessments and a detailed Character Investigation. (Please note: The OPP Auxiliary Program medical requirements align with the OPP Uniform Recruitment Provincial Constable selection process.)
For more information about the program and to find the application form please visit:
Ontario Provincial Police - Auxiliary Policing Program (opp.ca) or call the Huronia West OPP at 705-429-3575 and ask to speak with Provincial Constable Lindsay Griffin, the Huronia West OPP's Auxiliary Unit Liaison.