A telecommunications company is going back to the drawing board for their proposal to build a new cell tower in Collingwood.
While initially on the council agenda to be dealt with at the Feb. 25 meeting, an application from Shared Network Canada to build a 60-metre telecommunications tower on the Eleventh Line has been deferred.
“We are making some modifications to the tower proposal based on the input we’ve received, but cannot share any additional information at this time on the specifics,” said Dan Gibbons, president of Shared Network Canada, when reached by CollingwoodToday on Monday.
During the Development and Operations Services Standing Committee meeting last week, councillors raised concerns about the tower including the proposed height and the fact that the tower did not follow town protocols as it is being proposed for a residentially zoned neighbourhood. Residents had also raised concerns of their own at a public meeting held back in December.
According to the town’s website, the original proposal included a 15-metre by 15-metre fenced compound area at the base of the tower with equipment cabinets. Wireless and data carriers would be attaching their equipment to the tower to increase voice and data services for the surrounding area.
While council members are entitled to provide feedback on the tower, final approval is granted federally.
At the end of the conversation at the committee meeting last week, council members voted against giving the proposal a recommendation.
On Monday, Gibbons said there is no timeline in place yet for when the application may come back before council.