It could soon be time to make a plan for what to do with the former Collingwood grain elevator building.
An engineer’s report, commissioned in 2017 will be ready for council’s review in the next couple months according to Collingwood’s Communications Officer Jennett Mays.
The last mention of the grain terminals was at a Strategic Initiatives Meeting on Jan. 23, 2017. Director of Public Works and Engineering, Brian MacDonald provided an update to the committee which included a historical review of the building and explained that any next steps would require a structural engineering study.
The engineer’s report will outline the existing structural condition of the terminals, including whether or not there are hazardous materials included in the building. The report will also list potential deficiencies and fall protection requirements. There will be an emergency preparedness report included and the engineers will report back on the condition of the exterior facade. Staff said the report will also prioritize the remediation work required and provide an estimated budget for the work.
Collingwood’s grain terminals were built in 1929. The town purchased the site in 1997, but the building is unused. The terminals were used for grain service for 64 years, which ended in 1993. Collingwood was involved in the grain trade for 123 years. Over the years there have been some proposals for converting the grain elevators into other usable space including for a mushroom farm.
Mays couldn’t say exactly when the engineers report would be delivered to council, but expected it would be “soon.”