THE COUNTY OF SIMCOE
MIDHURST – May is Museum Month is an uplifting opportunity to celebrate our local heritage and culture as well as the contributions of museums to our communities. While Simcoe County Museum is closed to the public to ensure physical distancing and to help fight the spread of COVID-19, it is joining others to engage audiences online through our #MuseumFromHome experience.
“Simcoe County Museum is a hidden gem and a great reminder of our region’s unique history and culture that can now be experienced online, from the comfort and safety of your home,” said Warden George Cornell. “Please enjoy this virtual entertainment and take part in a twenty-first century Museum Month exploring our exciting past as we continue to provide services and programming online to our residents during the pandemic.”
Starting today, May 1, the Museum Month virtual programs will provide interesting entertainment for all ages through informative and engaging activities and tours:
- Virtual Gallery Tours with Activities – To celebrate the first week of May is Museum Month, the museum will take visitors on a virtual tour. Each day will feature a different gallery and an activity for people to do from home
- Mother’s Day Victorian Tea – On May 10 join the museum virtually from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. for the Mother’s Day Victorian Tea. Share your tea party pictures with Mom to @simcoecountymuseum Facebook page under the comments section of the Mother’s Day Victorian Tea event post. A prize will be awarded at random from participants who post their picture on Facebook
- National Nursing Week May 11 to 17 – This week is to celebrate nurses, past and present. Check out their online exhibit for information about the WWI Nursing Sisters, the early nursing days of Royal Victoria Hospital, as well as present day nurses in our long-term care homes
- Collections Corner May 18 to 24 – Calling all who like to collect things. This week the museum will share various donated collections from toys to sparkplugs and more. Share your collections (toys, coins, books etc.) images via the museum’s Facebook page
- Time Capsule last week of May – We are currently living history and future generations will wonder what it was like to experience life during the COVID-19 Pandemic. Visit museum.simcoe.ca to learn how to create your own time capsule
For more online activities and information visit museum.simcoe.ca or Follow, Like & Share on Facebook @simcoecountymuseum and Twitter @simcoecountyMUS.
About Museum Month
Celebrated annually since 2000, May is Museum Month is a program of the Ontario Museum Association and celebrated by Ontario’s 700+ museums, galleries, and heritage sites. May is Museum Month coincides with International Museum Day on May 18th, a worldwide initiative of the International Council of Museums to highlight the importance of the role of museums as institutions that serve society and its development. County of Simcoe is composed of sixteen member municipalities and provides crucial public services to County residents in addition to providing paramedic and social services to the separated cities of Barrie and Orillia. Visit our website at simcoe.ca.