Skip to content

Reader favourite

Hospice Georgian Triangle (HGT) provides compassionate and comprehensive care in the home or at Campbell House for families dealing with life-limiting illness in the southern Georgian Bay community. Care Programs come at no cost and focus on the physical, emotional and spiritual needs of both the patient and family, enhancing quality of life.  

Hospice Georgian Triangle began as an all-volunteer visiting program in 1987, providing non-medical support in the homes of the dying around Georgian Bay. In 2000, two respite suites, called the Susie Newton Suites, were established in the Collingwood General and Marine Hospital (CGMH), to provide increased respite opportunities for caregivers. Later the respite suites were moved to Sunset Manor. The volunteers and Board of Directors saw need for a dedicated palliative care facility, and began plans to build the area’s first palliative care home. In 2014, under the guidance of Board President Bruce West, these dreams became reality. Backed by the incredible support of the South Georgian Bay community and the Audrey & Donald Campbell Foundation, Campbell House was built in Collingwood, Ontario; a six bed facility providing round-the-clock professional care. It was designed to feel nothing like a “facility”, but to feel like a home. In 2017, an addition was built, expanding the capacity of Campbell House to 10 beds, providing two beautiful rooms for programs, and a kitchen for family use. Then in the early Spring of 2020, the Ontario government granted approval for Campbell House to open those four new rooms, bringing our facility to a 10 bed residence. 

Throughout its evolution, the core vision of HGT’s services remained the same: to provide high quality palliative care that is truly accessible and inclusive. The goal is to improve quality of life for all involved. The method is to listen and allow for the personal freedom to choose, retain dignity and maintain comfort, in the way that is true/desired for each individual.   

HGT’s early volunteers understood that quality palliative care was more than providing medical support to a person near death. Today, HGT’s programs extend to support the full spectrum of the end-of-life journey and all who are involved. Whether you have recently been diagnosed with a life-limiting illness, you are supporting someone with a life-limiting illness, you are struggling to cope or have experienced a loss at any time, there are supports available to you at no cost.  

HGT is established as a model of excellence in the palliative care network and maintains a strong commitment to meeting and surpassing the standards of Hospice Palliative Care Ontario (HPCO) to provide high quality, modern care. As new palliative care homes are built as part of Ontario’s growing hospice movement, HGT is frequently called upon to consult for best practices, and to participate in pilot programs. One such initiative is South Georgian Bay’s Shared Care Team, a cohesive team of local healthcare professionals who gather regularly to ensure smooth transitions between services for patients in the palliative care network. 

Having been fully accredited as of 2018 by the HPCO, HGT is one of the only three hospices in Ontario to be accredited for both our residential and community programs. HGT volunteers and staff undergo an intensive 30 hour training course prior to beginning work, and engage in continuous education activities throughout the year. Clinical staff are provided with regular education opportunities, including in-house training, paid courses and seminars, attendance of the HPCO conference and skills days. HGT’s relationships with Saint Elizabeth, CGMH, and the Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP), ensure we stay at the forefront of current research and initiatives. 

Hospice Georgian Triangle’s costs are 48% funded by the Ministry of Health. The remaining 52% is funded by our incredible community through the efforts of the Hospice Georgian Triangle Foundation.   

From all of the volunteers, staff and Boards of Directors at Hospice Georgian Triangle and the Hospice Georgian Triangle Foundation, we extend our sincere appreciation to the South Georgian Bay community for your continued support of the provision of quality palliative care for your families, friends, and neighbours. 

We thank you.


Our People