Media Release - October 6, 2021
Get Loud and Learn the Sounds of Fire Safety
Fire Prevention Week runs from October 3 - 9, and the Blue Mountains Fire Department is challenging everyone to “Get Loud!” and test their smoke and carbon monoxide alarms and “Learn the Sounds of Fire Safety™.”
When the test button is pushed, the alarm beeps to indicate that there is an emergency. This is the same sound that will alarm in the actual event of a fire or carbon monoxide. If the alarm does not work or make a sound, please replace the batteries, or replace the alarm.
As required by the Ontario Fire Code, every home is required to have a working smoke alarm on every storey and outside each sleeping area. Too often, fatal fires take place in homes where there are no working smoke alarms.
Testing both your smoke and carbon monoxide alarms is the only way to ensure they are working and that you and your family can be alerted in the event of a fire.
The Town of The Blue Mountains Fire Chief, Steve Conn urges all residents to be proactive and test their smoke and carbon monoxide alarms every month.
“Take immediate action if your smoke or carbon monoxide alarms sounds,” explained Fire Chief Steve Conn. “If an alarm beeps in an emergency, get everyone out of the home. If your alarms chirp, please replace the batteries or your alarms immediately.”
To learn more, please visit: https://www.thebluemountains.ca/fire-services.cfm
For more information, please contact:
The Blue Mountains Fire Department
519-599-3131 ext. 101