A 21-year-old Hamilton man is now facing charges related to an assault in Collingwood in addition to charges for a shooting in Wasaga Beach.
Collingwood OPP have charged Nana Yaw Asante with aggravated assault, possession of a controlled substance for the purpose of trafficking, and pointing a firearm.
These charges stem from a July 11 incident on First Street. Police were called to the scene shortly before 7 p.m. and found a man who reported being assaulted by two men, one of whom was brandishing what appeared to be a handgun.
Police said the victim was taken to a local hospital with serious but non-life-threatening injuries. The investigation led officers to Asante as one of the suspects.
Collingwood OPP confirmed with the crime unit that the investigation is ongoing to identify the second man involved in the assault.
Asante was arrested in Hamilton on Aug. 4.
Huronia West OPP have also charged Asante with the following:
- Attempted to commit murder (four counts)
- Firearm — use while committing offence
- Possession of prohibited or restricted firearm with ammunition
- Knowledge of unauthorized possession of firearm
- Unauthorized possession of a prohibited or restricted firearm
- Pointing a firearm
- Discharge a restricted firearm or a prohibited firearm with intent
- Discharge a firearm into or at a place in a reckless manner
- Assault causing bodily harm
- Fail to comply with undertaking.
The charges from Huronia West OPP are related to a July 14 incident where police received a 911 call around 11 p.m. for a shooting at a residence on Bianca Crescent in Wasaga Beach.
Officers who arrived on scene found an adult woman who had suffered a gunshot wound. She survived and was treated for non-life-threatening injuries.
Huronia West OPP said the shooting was believed to be a "targeted, isolated incident."
Collingwood OPP said the Collingwood assault was not considered targeted.