A Springwater Township family can thank working smoke alarms for escaping a fire early this morning.
The family of four was alerted to the blaze at their home on Old Second South, just outside of Barrie, shortly after 1 a.m. on Wednesday, Dec. 7, and were able to escape without injuries, "wearing only the clothes they had on at the time," according to the township.
The home was engulfed in flames when fire crews from Springwater Fire and Emergency Services arrived. Firefighters worked throughout the night to bring it under control.
Damage is estimated at $400,000, and although there were no injuries to either the homeowners or firefighters, the family cat was killed in the fire.
Thirty township firefighters from four stations responded to the call. A water tanker shuttle was established to bring the fire under control as quickly as possible.
Fire officials will remain on scene throughout the morning for investigation, however the fire is not considered suspicious. Township officials later said the cause of the fire was accidental in nature.
“Crews did a fantastic job of getting this fire under control,” Deputy Fire Chief Jeff French said in a news release from the township. “The fire was challenging as the roof of the residence was covered in solar panels creating continuous live electricity. Crews worked throughout the night to bring the fire under control.”
French also cited the presence of smoke alarms in the home.
“This fire is another example of how working smoke alarms save lives when seconds count,” he said.
It is the law to have working smoke alarms installed on every storey of your home and outside all sleeping areas.
Working smoking alarms alerted a family of 4 after fire broke out in there home shortly after 1am Wednesday morning on Old Second S When fire crews arrived the home was fully involved. Crews worked throughout the night to bring it under control. Damage estimate is $400,000.00 pic.twitter.com/I0YkscuDN5— Springwater Fire (@SpringwaterFIRE) December 7, 2022